"Everyone has their own thing." this is what Chema, the heavily tattooed, gorgeous, mother of three, tells me. "Like Mallorie, well she's special." she said with a witty smile. She was right though. She is right. It was like high school all over again except without any boys to make things even more complicated and on top of that i'm dealing with adult women who should know better. I've been having to learn everyone's personality and the reason it sucks the most is that I don't really want to care about any type of 'relationship' with these chicks, but I want these next many months to go by as smoothly as possible.Now when I first started at school, there were deffinately a couple personalities that I had difficulty adjusting to but for the most part I assumed all the girls got along swimmingly and they were all decent friends. This view of mine changed this last Tuesday morning right before theory was about to start. Rosie, a rather loud but pretty humorous woman came in like a whirlwind as usual and asked "Is it ok if I sit with you guys cuz I don't wanna sit next to my worse enemy." Everyone immidiately invited her to just sit with us but I looked at Mallorie inquisitively and she just plainly said "Claudia." now there is apparently some history there that honestly, I could care less about and its not really worth jotting down in this blog but seriously...these are two grown women with children, like teenage children, and they are the ones with the drama...anyway, The back story is irrelevant but the point is, drama is not escapable. (if thats even a word)
I like to think I am a pretty easy-going girl. I like to think I can take a lot of flack just as long as you respect me, especially if you don't know me. Guess what, these girls not only don't know me but they seem to go out of their way to stereotype me and set of this idea in their head about the type of person I am. I have never been stereotyped so much in my life because of my race. Hey guess what, I'M WHITE! Who Cares!!??? My step-grandpa who is more of a grandfather to me than my biological pops is browner than any Mexican i've seen! But I can't seem to escape it. Could you imagine if I ran around and just started telling acquintances I hardly knew that they don't like something because they're brown, they don't listen to that music because they're black, they say that because they're yellow?! Oh My Gosh I can see the drama now!
One day the girls were just going to town on me. Granted, I am fully aware it was "all in good fun" but everything I said I would get Yvonne, Rosie, and Robin saying things like "Are you saying that because I'm brown?" or "It's cuz you're white." or "Ooooooooohhhh!! What do you mean you people?!" Seriously SHUT UP!
Here was my mistake regarding this situation, however. I made the mistake of simply mentioning, once, in a completely "its not a big deal" sort of way to Mallorie, Dani and a few of their friends that it got on my nerves a tid-bit and the VERY next day, I walk up to school and Yvonne, not even skipping a beat, asked very loudly and in the most condescending voice "Did you get mad I called you racist?" I about died.
my lesson learned: keep to yourself. smile often. don't get close to anyone. and constantly remind myself I am in no way there to make friends.
beauty is pain,
-kristin

No comments:
Post a Comment