Tuesday, September 8, 2009

And Now I've Got Clients- Week 8


So I have begun my eighth week of American Beauty Academy. Today is my 20th birthday, how very exciting! Stepping into true 'adulthood' because even if these great United States of America consider 18 and 19 year olds adults, they are still teenagers..."subhumans" if you were to ask my dad. but on to school---I am now an official Junior at school. Once you have reached 200 hours you are allowed to start working on the poor saps that step through our salon school doors just to recieve a cheap pedi or hair cut. My very first client I didn't actually get until later in the day at about 3:30. It was an elderly man who wasn't too talkative but with my endearing charm and quick wit [I speak so highly of myself don't I? haha] I scored a five dollar tip! Awesome! But I was terribly nervous! He didn't want to use the clippers and after my last fiasco trying to cut my boyfriend's hair, that was really all I knew how to do! So bravely I started to cut this man's hair, under the supervision of my intstructor of course, and it took just about everything in me to not show my complete anxiousness and hesitation through the entire procedure. Once I was done with the cut and we sent my first client on his way I recieved small applause from all my fellow students that were currently present! Sweet Victory! Who knew that one simple men's hair cut would give me the complete confidence to tackle any client that came my way! That was untill the next day when I was handed the ticket for an elderly woman's hair. I smiled up at our receptionist so sure I had gotten yet another simple hair cut. No sweat right? No. I was given.....A PERM!!! Now for those of you reading this who have given yourselves plenty of at home perms out of a box, IT ISN'T THE SAME! And of course my client didn't speak a word of english and with the little spanish I know myself I managed to understand that the poor lady was complaining to my Instructor and then later her daughter that she would much rather have some one more experienced and better. Wow. Shot to the heart! I grew on her though ;] One of my classmates who's luckily bilingual sat with us through the entire thing allowing conversation to happen between us. The old lady was cute. She looked up at the picture of Josh and I, that I have taped to my mirror, and asked if 'mi novio' is 'chino' haha It was cute.--- Some good news! We have a new batch of freshman that have started school! One of them is becoming a pretty close friend of mine which is making school a little less unbearable and we also have quite a few seniors graduating tomorrow so the atmosphere of the school is changing! And I like change...kinda. Well I like it when it changes to my advantage! But who doesn't really?------Conclusion: I need to learn spanish. [oh and for my "future mother-in-law's" sake I will be better about posting every week! sorry Tami!]

2 comments:

  1. despite the fact that the drama with women will never end...I quite enjoy seeing your progress in cosmetology school. I almost think that I should have hit that road, instead of the fours years that I have to do to become what I inspire, a graphic designer.
    love you kristin and you are in my prayers =)
    and happy birthday =)
    With Love, Marina
    P.S. I am quite proud to announce to you, that I created a gmail account, just so I could follow and read your blogs :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. On this page, you'll see my profile, please read this information. cosmetology news

    ReplyDelete